Monday, 14 May 2012

So Far So Good

Willow has passed the first part of her ordeal with flying colours.  The operation went well on Friday, the tumour and a large amount of tissue surrounding it were successfully removed, and though she was a little disoriented that evening when she came home, she woke up full of beans on Saturday.  She went for her post-op check up on Monday, yesterday, and had her dressing removed.  The vet was very happy with the way she was healing and said that it wasn’t necessary to re-cover the wound.


Can you imaging any one of us humans going in for an operation, which left an 8 centimetre wound, then having the dressing removed three days later? I can’t.  We have to have the dressings removed and the wound cleaned then rebound numerous times, and then there is no touching rule, without the use of gloves and/or antiseptic washes for fear of infections. The first thing my girl did when she arrived home, much to my horror, was to run out onto the lawn and have a good old roll on the grass!  I have to ask the questions are dogs that tough, or are we that weak?


I have to admit that yesterday was the worst for me.  I think it was the fact that Willow seemed so unaffected by what has happened to her, and the wound looks so nasty, but whatever it was my heart broke and my tears flowed, and do you know what she did? She went to find her favourite toy; a chewed up plush dog named Flossy, dumped it on my lap then lay down at my feet.   Who’s comforting who?

I gave myself a mental slap after that, she deserves better from me.  If she can be strong so can I. That’s not to say I didn’t let her out of my sight for the rest of the day.  I also have to say that Alba is being very good about the whole thing, she didn’t like being left behind on our trips to the vet, she loves her big sister and doesn’t like to be apart from her, but she has kept a respectful distance from Willow since she came back from her operation.  I have noticed Alba wander past Willow, sneaking a look and a smell of her back as she does so, but the only part of her that touches is her tail, and this gently brushes across Willows face as she passes by.
There is still one question that needs to be answered and it is a question that is hanging heavily in the air.  The tumour and the surrounding skin/tissue that was removed have been sent of for testing and we will be getting the results, hopefully, on Wednesday.  We are all being very positive that the results will be good, that is, that the tumour was benign…or, if it was malignant, that it has all been removed.  Either way I’ll be sure to let you know.

Now I know that I don’t know you, or you me, but I would greatly appreciate your positive thinking, prayers or good wishes to help my girl have the best possible result.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment