Tuesday, 22 May 2012

Tiny Visitors


Yesterday morning my girls, Willow & Alba, led me to a couple of unusual visitors who had taken shelter in an unexpected place.

The girls had been dozing on their armchairs all morning, as they often do, when Willow suddenly jumped up and started sniffing and scratching, very determinedly I might add, at the backrest cushion. Now these chairs are situated outside of the house in a very sheltered spot, between the kitchen and the office. They are out of the direct sun, wind and rain and ideal spot for many a wee beastie, but I would not have thought that these particular critters would have made a home here.

Intrigued by Willow and Alba’s growing interest, I left the office and went to see what it was that was getting them so excited; I have to admit that I hoped that it wasn’t one of our regular visitors… a brown snake. I don’t dislike snakes, in fact I rather like them, however…one bite from a brown could be the end for the girls, or make me quite sick for a while.  So, cautiously I pulled the cushion back and took a peek. 

It took me a couple of seconds to realise what it was that I was looking at, but there crawling wing over claw, were two of the smallest bats I had ever seen. Check it out.





They are soooo cute, aren’t they? I have done some research online and these are Broadnosed micro bats…I think.  Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

I am pleased to say that the girls aren’t bothering them at all and I hope that they will have a long and happy stay with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment