Thursday, 14 June 2012

In the Beginning

Up until now my blog has been a bit of waffle, I was just dipping my toe in to test the water, being a new blogger and all.  Now it’s time to get serious…well sort of.  I want to share with you my journey from an unpublished, passionate and fervent writer, to a successfully published writer.  At least, that is how I hope this blog will end.  Only time will tell.
I thought that the hardest part about writing was the actual act of writing. You know, coming up with an idea, a plot, and an amazing story.  A story that is full of excitement, emotion, unpredictability and an ending that will urge my readers to want to read more. Of course that includes creating   the characters that will live their lives, completely at my mercy, within my story. Characters who will be likeable, hateable, possibly a bit of both, and believable.  Characters who will make my story gasp with its first intake of breath before bursting into life. But guess what?  I was wrong.
Writing a novel is hard work, emotionally draining, and all consuming, yet the dedication, determination and desire to complete this work, has been greatly rewarded by the overwhelming satisfaction I felt when I typed my last, two little words...The End. 
Those two words however, are somewhat misleading, as the end is still far from sight.
You see after I had typed those final two words I then had to begin the necessary but tedious process of editing, and then I had to edit some more.  Then I edited again, and again, and again. In fact I became so obsessed with editing, that I found myself correcting a stranger’s shopping lists over her shoulder, while standing in the check out at my local store; and I have to say…she was not amused. 
And then it was done, I could edit no more, yes I know…you can always edit more, but there has to come a time when you say enough is enough, and I had reached that time.  It was now time to move on to the fun-part…let’s get published. Ha! Fun-part my furry little butt.
This is when the really hard work begins, at least if you are like me, unpublished.  The odds are against us from the word go, and even though the stats vary from one website to another and from the piles of literature, the numbers are something like this; for every 10,000 manuscripts submitted each month, (Australia wide, all genres) only 600 are published. Now if that doesn’t scare you nothing will. 
I have to admit that I am completely overwhelmed by the daunting task ahead of me, the task of finding a publisher who is willing to take a chance with me, an unknown, unpublished writer who has put her heart and soul into her work.  This is a journey that I am looking at with great trepidation but I am determined to give it my best shot, and I would like you all to come along for the ride. 
I can’t guarantee it will be useful or informative, or even entertaining, let’s face it, I haven’t a clue what I’m doing and I don’t for one moment pretend to be offering advice…but it might be fun.  At the very least you will be someone to whom I can vent when it all gets too much for me, and for that alone…I thank you.

However precarious our grasp on life is, there is always hope.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post! I myself am dreading the day that my book actually enters completion. I love writing it and creating but the horizon is so daunting that I find myself slowing down because in the end I'm afraid of failing due to my lack of knowledge of the industry.

    Great job putting yourself out there and pushing through the trepidation. Looking forward to seeing how far you go :)

    -Ryan A Smith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ryan. I have to admit that I felt the same as you do when coming to the end of my book. Eventually I told myself to stop procrastinating and just finish it. I also told myself, numerous times, that if I don’t find a publisher willing to work with me, it is not necessarily a reflection on the quality of my work. Book publishing is a fickle industry where luck, timing and finding the right publisher at the right time are relevant variables.
    I will also admit that the very act of completing my book awarded me a great amount of pride and self-esteem, and for that alone it was well worth the effort.
    Finish your book for yourself, worry about the rest later.
    Jo

    ReplyDelete